Saturday, July 19, 2008

Who else wants to see Mamma Mia?

  1. Iron Jawed Angels. I threw this in to my Netflix queue out of curiosity, because my mom called me and said that I should watch it when I get a chance. This is the same mom that told me that I shouldn't struggle so hard for feminism, because it's never going to change. I didn't expect much, so I started the movie as I was getting in to bed, thinking that I would fall asleep and finish it tomorrow night. That was a mistake. Even with all of the historical inaccuracies, this movie was riveting to me. I could not turn it off! I watched it all of the way through, and then thought to myself, "Hey Self! Since you're up still anyway, why don't you go Google this Alice Paul woman to see how much of this movie is true?" Turns out that pretty much, it is. The only part that really resonated with me that wasn't true was the character Emily Leighton, who is a senator's wife in the movie, and turns in to a suffragette. Regardless, her fictional story was still fascinating because it highlighted how easy it was to treat women like chattel back in the day, and how far we've come. Mostly though, it inspired me to look in to doing more for women's rights.
  2. We reportedly received our annual monsoon rainfall amount in one hour yesterday, and it kept raining. Consequently, people were stranded on the freeways, and we had the again the coverage of motorists who tried to ford the water and didn't make it. I would like to admonish those people, but if I was being totally honest, I would probably try myself. Because I'm stubborn. And also because, who wants to be stuck on the freeway?
  3. JB needs a new job, seriously. He's a grump to be around right now.
  4. Our stupid dogs need to not be afraid or uncomfortable or whatever the hell they are of the rain. It makes life difficult.
  5. I have been looking for another job. The thing is, I'm always looking for another job. But . . . I may have found one or two that will suit me. That presents another dimension to the problem, is the leaving of the current job for a new one. I haven't even had an interview yet, so I'm being presumptuous, but I'm trying to plan now. How do you tell an employer that you're leaving because you disagree with the decisions and decision making methodology of the company? What complicates this is that my current company is not a bad company at all. However, they make decisions based mostly on the bottom line and budgets, at least when it comes to IT. This has led to a ton of (what I'm sure were good at the time) decisions that maybe weren't so good, and now have become issues. And living with the results of these decisions is incredibly difficult, especially when I'm not ever able to prevent more bad decisions from being made. Overall, I know that I'm not happy. I also know that it's a hella long commute. That's worth it when it's worth it. But when it's not, then it's not.

No comments: